Achieve greatness at smaller paradise
It’s not always to your advantage to work in “sexy” industries, such as tech. Intelligent companies like tesla, Disney and Apple, understand the underappreciated laws of thermodynamics and that contrast is important. It’s better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be in a sexy industry where there are many other companies that are just as good as yours.
Michael Abrashoff took ownership over the worst-performing ship and made it one of the best performings in the US pacific ship within just 12 months. he started to make a decision through the eyes of his crew members which helped him to lead it differently.
In his book It’s Your Ship, he explains most people think they can do more things and contribute much more when to comes to facing the real situation we just overthink and ruin everything, unfortunately, the problems cannot be stored in a spreadsheet and solve it. Every day we face different problems and to tackle it we need experience and presence of mind. “when people have the opportunity to take the decision they look for the past decision which has worked and not for the new ones ”
Chapter 3 checklist:
- In your decision journal, do the following:
- List the barriers you think are keeping you from making better decisions.
- List three decisions you made in the past that did not have good outcomes. For each of these decisions, what barriers listed above affected your decision making?”
Two types of knowledge.
- The first is Planck’s knowledge. People who have Planck knowledge really know what they are talking about; they’ve done the work, and paid their dues.
- Then there are people who have a shit knowledge mostly marketers do this. without the subject knowledge, they can talk for hours without even making sense.
The map is not the actual guide – The decision is the ultimate guide.
We always look for the solution on map expecting that to work just because it had worked earlier and there is no one at fault as everyone does it even business do it they look into business strategies of last year so that it will for the next year based on that.
Here’s an example: Ron Johnson was one of the famous retail executive handpicked by Steve Jobs since had very good experience in arranging store material but it turned disaster when came to designing the apple store as this was a completely different outlet.
Chapter 4 checklist:
- In your decision journal, think of a time when you used a mental shortcut, or “availability heuristic” to make a decision.
- In your decision journal, answer the following questions:
- Do you currently use a latticework of mental models to make decisions?
- Is your mind currently prepared to make decisions based on many mental models?
- Based on the list of mental models at the end of this book, how many do you currently feel competent in understanding?
Well, you could get the decision checklist made by Shane Parrish’s blog. it is so helpful. give it a try